Illinois Free License Plate Lookup
Some sellers might be honest individuals. Yet at times they might pass bad cars out as good cars by mistake. For that reason, it pays to be certain about the car you wish to buy.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Illinois:
Illinois Secretary of State Office is another excellent source of Illinois vehicle information. For inquiries, you may call at: 217-785-3000 (Outside Illinois) / 800-252-8980 (Toll-free in Illinois). You may also visit the Contact page.
Illinois License Plates & Placards
You must register your vehicle if you have a long-term use for it in Illinois. Once your registration is complete, you will be given a temporary registration permit. You can use the permit for 90 days while waiting for your license plates to arrive. The Secretary of State Office of Illinois is the official provider of license plates in the state. The plate’s serial format has three letters and four numerical digits. Vehicle owners must display two plates on their vehicles. One plate on the front, while another on the rear.
Request for a replacement plate/sticker if your plate/sticker is damaged or missing. A replacement for one plate costs $6, while for both license plates it’s $9. Stickers cost $20 each.
Types of Illinois License Plates
The state has eleven (11) license plate designs which you can order for your car:
- Persons with Disabilities
- Collegiate Series
- Pan Hellenic Series
- First Responders
- Military Series
- Recreational Trailer/Vehicle
- Sporting Series
- Professional Sports
Your vehicle must be properly titled and registered in your name before you can request a personalized or vanity plate. Vehicles that are leased, in a trust, or were registered by a business entity are not eligible for any personalized or vanity plate.
Transferring of License Plates in Illinois
In general, you can process a license plate transfer to any vehicle that you owned. However, you cannot transfer the ownership of your license plate to another person or entity. Visit the Transferring Plates page for more information.
More Resources for Illinois Drivers:
- Illinois Driver’s License/Commercial Driver’s License/State ID Card
- Illinois Registration Renewal and ID Cards
- Illinois Apply for Registration and Title
- Illinois Driver’s License Study Guide
- Illinois Rules of the Road
Buying a used car in Illinois? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Illinois-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Illinois License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Illinois-registered vehicle.