Louisiana Free License Plate Lookup
The state of Louisiana requires all new and used vehicles to be registered in Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. If you bought your car from a dealership, the registration process will be handled by them.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Louisiana:
Louisiana License Plates & Placards
Louisiana law requires that motor vehicles be titled and registered. You can apply for the title, registration and license plate at any Motor Vehicle Office. You will receive a registration certificate along with your license plate.
The license plates must be securely fastened and attached to the rear of the vehicle. It must be legible and remain clearly visible.
If your license plates are damaged, lost, or stolen, you’ll need to contact the Louisiana OMV branch office to order replacements upon payment of the appropriate fees. If your plates were stolen, you may also be asked to furnish an affidavit or statement regarding the theft. You should receive your replacement within 30 days.
Types of Louisiana License Plates
Louisiana offers different types of special plates, each has specific qualifications and eligibility requirements. You can select license plates in Louisiana License Plates Viewer. You may purchase Special Plates on these locations. To contact the Specialized Vehicle Unit you may call (225) 925-6371 or call (225) 925-6146 for assistance.
- Military Veteran
- Retired Veteran
- Korean War Veteran
- Desert Storm Veteran
- Vietnam Veteran
- Special Interest
- Louisiana High Schools
Personalized plates can be issued to vehicles registered in Louisiana. You can request for personalized license plates online, but a payment will have to be mailed in. When payment is received the plate is ordered.
Transferring of License Plates in Louisiana
You may be able to transfer a license plate from one vehicle to another. The state transfer fee is $1.25. Additionally, a number of Alabama counties have imposed local issuance fees. Check License Plate Information for more details on the different types of license plates offered in the state of Alabama.
More Resources for Louisiana Drivers:
- Louisiana Drivers License & Identification Card
- Louisiana Vehicle Registration & Title
- Louisiana Duplicate Vehicle Registration
- Louisiana Notice of Vehicle Transfer
- Louisiana Vehicle Registration, Title & Plate Fees
- Louisiana Driver’s Manual
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.