Utah Free License Plate Lookup
To register and title in Utah for the first time, an Application for Utah Title must be completed and required documentation provided. Required documentation may include a vehicle title, a bill of sale, odometer statement, a previous registration and safety and emission certificates.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Utah:
Utah License Plates & Placards
New Utah residents are allowed 60 days to transfer titles and registrations. All vehicles that are titled or registered in Utah for the first time are required to complete a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection.
All registered vehicles in Utah must display license plates. License plates and/or decals will be issued upon completion of the registration process. All license plates are issued to the owner of the vehicle and should be returned to a motor vehicle office when the vehicle is sold.
Most vehicles are required to have license plates displayed on the front and back. However, some vehicles can have plates attached on the rear only.
When your license plate is lost or stolen, visit your local DMV office with a copy of the most recent registration, license plate number, or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to apply for a replacement.
Types of Utah License Plates
Utah has three standard-issue plates and a variety of special plates available.
- Standard Issue
- Personalized Plates
- Special Group
- Amateur Radio Operator
- Autism Awareness
- Boy Scouts of America
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Cancer Research
- Children’s Issues
- Clean Fuel – Clean Air
- Collegiate – Brigham Young University
- Collegiate – College of Eastern Utah (USU Eastern)
- Collegiate – Dixie State University
- Collegiate – LDS Business College
- Collegiate – Salt Lake Community College
- Collegiate – Snow College
- Collegiate – Southern Utah University
- Collegiate – University of Utah
- Collegiate – Utah State University
- Collegiate – Utah Valley University
- Collegiate – Weber State University
- Collegiate – Western Governors University
- Collegiate – Westminster College
- Disabled Person
- Disabled Veteran
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Farm Vehicle
- Former Prisoner of War (POW)
- Gold Star
- Honorary Consulate
- Honoring Heroes
- Humanitarian Service
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- National Guard
- National Men’s Soccer (Real Salt Lake)
- No More Homeless Pets
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Prostate Cancer Awareness
- Public Education Support
- Purple Heart/Combat Wounded
- Search and Rescue Teams
- Share the Road
- Soil Conservation
- Special Interest Vehicles
- State Legislator
- United States Congress
- Utah Housing Opportunity (Realtor)
- Veterans – Air Force
- Veterans – American Legion
- Veterans – Army
- Veterans – Coast Guard
- Veterans – Marines
- Veterans – Navy
- Veteran Combat Theater – Air Force Combat Action Medal
- Veteran Combat Theater – Army Combat Action Badge
- Veteran Combat Theater – Army Combat Infantry Badge
- Veteran Combat Theater – Marine & Navy Combat Action Ribbon
- Vintage Vehicle
- Wildlife – Eagle
- Wildlife – Elk
- Wildlife – Kestrel
- Wildlife – Mule Deer
- Wildlife – Trout
- Zion National Park
Transferring of License Plates in Utah
License plates may be transferred only if the application for transfer is made in the name of the original registered owner, unless the owner’s name has been changed by marriage, divorce, or court order. Transferred license plates may not be displayed on the new vehicle until the registration has been completed and a new registration card has been issued.
More Resources for Utah Drivers:
- Utah Driver License & ID Cards
- Registering Your Vehicles in Utah
- Utah License Plates Information
- Vehicle Title Requirements in Utah
- Utah Vehicle Registration Taxes & Fees
- Utah Driver Handbook
Buying a used car in Utah? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Utah-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Utah License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Utah-registered vehicle.