Rhode Island Free License Plate Lookup
Rhode Island law requires vehicle owners to register their motor vehicles and display license plates to be operated on public roads. To obtain license plates, you must register your vehicle with the Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Rhode Island:
Rhode Island License Plates & Placards
If you are a resident of Rhode Island, you are required to register your vehicle in Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles.
If you are transferring from out-of-state, within 30 days of moving to Rhode Island you must obtain a new title and registration for your vehicle.
Vehicles 2001 or newer, if the title is from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check in Rhode Island is required before you register the car. A title is needed for a VIN check.
Upon completing registration, you will receive a registration certificate, new plates and expiration stickers. The registration plate issued for a motor vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle.
If your plates are lost or stolen, you need to complete and sign the Application for Registration and the Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration for Lost Plates form. If your plates are damaged, fill up the Application for Registration and the Application for Remake of License Plates. Send the forms with the appropriate payment to the Division of Motor Vehicles Attn: Plates, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston RI 02920.
Types of Rhode Island Special License Plates
- Preferred Plates
- Vanity Plates
- Veteran Plates
- Special Design Charity Plates
- Autism Awareness
- Bristol Fourth of July
- Boston Bruins Foundation
- Conservation Through Education
- Emergency Medical Technician Plate
- Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation
- Home & Hospice Care of Rhode Island
- New England Patriots
- Plum Beach Lighthouse
- Red Sox Foundation
- RI Law Enforcement Memorial Benefit Fund
- RI Community Food Bank
- Wildlife Rehabilitators
- Other Plates
- Amateur Radio Operator
- Antique Plates
- Electric Hybrid
- Farm Plates
Transferring of License Plates in Rhode Island
You can transfer the registration and plates to a new vehicle as long as the name on the registration is the same. You will receive a registration only. No stickers will be issued. The expiration on your current stickers will be valid.
More Resources for Rhode Island Drivers:
- Rhode Island Driver’s Licenses and IDs
- Rhode Island Vehicle Registration
- Rhode Island License Plates Information
- Rhode Island Vehicle Title Information
- Rhode Island Vehicle Registration Fee Schedule
- Rhode Island Driver’s Manual
Buying a used car in Rhode Island? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Rhode Island-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Rhode Island License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Rhode Island-registered vehicle.