Free GMC VIN Decoder
Search for vehicle history including recall, thefts and accident history with our free GMC VIN decoder. Enter your GMC VIN below and click on the Decode VIN button to start your vehicle research.
Can’t find the VIN?
GMC Recall Lookup
In 2016, General Motors recalled more than 4 million vehicles to fix an air bag software defect. The computer that controls air bag deployment could go into test mode which could prevent front air bags to inflate in the event of a crash. Vehicles involved in the recall are from the 2014 to 2017 model years and include GMC Sierra 1500, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, and GMC Sierra HD models.
If a recall has been issued for your GMC vehicle, contact your authorized GMC dealer to have the software updated free of charge.
Search for GMC safety recalls announced in the past 15 calendar years using the VIN.
How to Decode a GMC VIN?
Check out the VIN decoding diagram below to see how each digit or section in the 17-digit string is decoded.
Each character or set of characters within a GMC VIN indicates specific vehicle information including the vehicle’s model and model year, make, where it was manufactured, and more.
Here is a sample GMC VIN: 1GTR1VEC6EZ368285, which we have decoded using the diagram above and the GMC decoding chart.
- 1GT = Manufacturer (GMC United States)
- R = Platform Code (Sierra 1500)
- 1 = Platform Series Code
- V = Restraint Type
- E = Body Style (4-Door Pick-up)
- C = Engine Type (L83 – VVT, AFM)
- 6 = Security Code
- E = Model Year (2014)
- Z = Plant (Fort Wayne, IN, United States)
- 368285 = Production Sequence
VinCheck.info’s free GMC VIN decoder instantly provides more than these vehicle specifications plus a full vehicle history report. We also provide information on the market value, equipment details, fuel efficiency, safety rating, current warranty, recalls and defects of a GMC vehicle.
GMC Parts and Accessories Lookup
If you’re in the market for replacement parts, choose genuine GMC parts and accessories which have been designed and made to fit specifically for your vehicle.
Resources for GMC Vehicle Owners
Why should I use a GMC VIN Decoder?
- Check for basic vehicle data available prior to purchase.
- Check for the vehicle’s build to know the matching parts in case of replacement or repair.
- Check for consistency of vehicle information from vehicle documents or disclosed by the seller.
- Check for fake VIN or cloned VIN. Look out for red flags indicating that the VIN is not for the car or the vehicle you are buying.
Check out VinCheck.info resources on GMC which could be important to you as an owner or a buyer. For more interesting facts about GMC, GMC vehicles or to get a free GMC vehicle history report, visit our GMC VIN Check page.
Enter your VIN below and run a Free GMC VIN decoder in seconds!