Kansas Vehicle Registration

Kansas Vehicle Registration: Complete Guide

When shopping for used cars, the best way to protect yourself from buying a lemon is to get a vehicle history report. You can avoid purchasing a vehicle that has been in an accident, flood, or had its odometer tampered. Checking a car’s history before purchase allows you to see how many previous owners there were, if it was involved in any serious accidents, and what is its current title status.

Run a Free Vehicle Report:

The state of Kansas requires that a motor vehicle be registered before it can be legally operated on public roads and highways. Application for a certificate of title and registration must be made through the local county treasurer’s office where the vehicle is located.

A valid car registration includes a license plate, certificate of registration and validation decals. The registration certificate is a document that details the car’s vital information including the VIN, vehicle description, and date the vehicle was registered.

Check out all the information you need here at VINCheck.info if you want to:

  • register your car as a new resident
  • register an out-of-state vehicle
  • re-register a salvage vehicle
  • change your address or name on your car registration documents.
  • renew or replace your registration

How to Register your Vehicle as a New Kansas Resident

As of today, all vehicle registrations in the State of Kansas can only be processed in person. If you have acquired or purchased a vehicle, you have 60 days from that date of purchase to register your vehicle with the Kansas Department of Revenue.


First, take your vehicle to the motor vehicle inspection station nearest you. The inspection will be conducted by the Kansas Highway Patrol, and involves identifying and verifying the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).


  • Bring along your Kansas driver’s license
  • Bring along your vehicle’s title.
  • Payment for fees


Upon completing the inspection, you will be given a Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1) and can now register your vehicle. Go to your local county tax office and bring along the following:


  • Proof of Kansas car insurance
  • Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1)
  • The vehicle’s title

NOTE: The person whose name is on the title is the only one who can register the vehicle. If there are two names listed on the title separated by “and/or,” both must be present. If the names are separated by “or,” only one of the persons must be present. If one of the owners cannot be present, the absent owner must provide a Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form TR-41) (original copy only).

How to Register an Out-of-State Vehicle in Kansas

If you have just established Kansas residency, you have 90 days to file for registration of your vehicle. Here is what you need to bring:

  • Proof of ownership – a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol is required of all vehicles coming into Kansas with a title that was issued from out of state.
  • A Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification (MVE-1) is required of vehicles with out-of-state titles.
  • Title of vehicle – If a lienholder has the title, ask them to send you a copy of the front and back of the document.
  • Document of the VIN inspection
  • Current registration from the state outside of Kansas
  • Current proof of car insurance

How to Re-register a Salvaged Vehicle in Kansas

You first need to have the salvaged vehicle repaired before taking it in for inspection. After repairs have been done, bring the vehicle to the nearest Kansas Highway Patrol MVE/VIN inspection station and bring along the following:

  • Original receipts for all the parts and components that were purchased/replaced in the repair of your salvaged vehicle
  • Work order for all repairs made to your salvaged vehicle
  • Original photos of the vehicle showing the damage incurred, before repairs were made
  • Any additional/relevant documents associated with the repair of the salvaged vehicle

NOTE: If some or all of the parts used in the repair of your salvaged vehicle came from another used vehicle, you will need to provide the VIN number of the donor vehicle from which those parts were taken.

After your vehicle passes the inspection, you will be given a motor vehicle examination (MVE-1). Bring along the salvage/non-highway title, the MVE-1 pink slip, and proof of KS car insurance to the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office and apply for a rebuilt salvage title.

Contact the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office if you need more information.

How Do I Change My Address with Kansas DMV?

Kansas DMV requires all residents to update their address within 10 days of moving to another location but within the same state. You can opt to change your address online, by mail, or in person. However, you should take note that updating your address will only update your driver’s license and vehicle registration records. You will NOT receive a new card unless you have applied for one.

Online – use the KS DMV Online Address Change System to change your address online.

By Mail – you will need to complete the Change of Address Form (DC-1) and mail it to:

Driver Solutions
P.O. Box 2021
Topeka, KS 66612

Include the following: your KS driver’s license number or ID card number, your date of birth, and your new mailing address.

In Person – you will need to visit your local KS driver’s license examination station. Bring along proof of identity such as passport, birth certificate, military ID, etc. and also proof of residency such as utility bills, bank statements, college or university records, etc. You can also visit the DMV’s website to take a look at their list of accepted documents.

Getting a New Driver’s License with Your New Address

If you want your KS driver’s license to reflect your new address, you must apply for a replacement one in person. Visit the local DMV office and bring along the following:

  • Proof of your residency in Kansas and proof of identity
    • Check the list of accepted documents. You will need two identity documents from list A, B, C, or D. You will also need at least one residency document from list E.
    • All documents should be originals or certified copies. No photocopies will be accepted.
    • If applicable, proof of legal name change.
  • Your Social Security Number or proof of ID from list B that proves your lawful presence.
  • Payment for fees – includes cash, a check/money order made payable to “Kansas DMV,” or a major credit/debit card.

How to Transfer a Vehicle Between Family Members

To transfer a title in Kansas between family members, you will need to bring the following to the county treasurer’s motor vehicle office:

Military Vehicle Registration in Kansas

Pursuant to Kansas statute 79-5107(e), Kansas residents serving in the military may qualify for exemption from personal property taxation of up to 2 motor vehicles. For the exemption to apply, the person in the military or spouse must be on the title as an owner.

Military exemption only applies to personal property taxes and NOT sales tax on vehicles.

To apply for exemption every time a vehicle is registered or renewed, the following documents must be submitted:

Vehicle Registration Renewal in Kansas

Kansas law requires that vehicle owners renew their registration in the state each year. You will receive a renewal reminder in the mail before your registration expires. This includes information and instructions needed to renew your vehicle tags:


  • Renewal fee
  • Vehicle information
  • PIN (if eligible for online renewal)
  • Any outstanding issues that you need to resolve before renewal (e.g. unpaid taxes).


You can renew your registration in person, online or by mail. If you are going to renew by mail or online and did not receive a renewal notice, you can download and reprint your renewal at http://mvs.dmv.kdor.ks.gov/printrenewals/ by entering your license plate number.

How to Renew Your Kansas Vehicle Registration in Person

A renewal notice is not necessary to renew your vehicle registration in person. You need to bring the following to your local county treasurer’s office:

  • Driver’s license.
  • Last year’s registration receipt or license plate number
  • Proof of auto insurance
  • Payment for necessary fees

How to Renew Your Kansas Vehicle Registration Online

You may renew your vehicle registration online at the iKan website.You will need the following:

  • PIN/access code number from your renewal notice
  • Credit card (Visa, Master Card, Discover or American Express) or electronic check/debit card for payment of fees.
  • Proof of insurance (Your insurance company must be participating with the Kansas Division of Vehicles to verify insurance coverage.)

How to Renew Your Kansas Vehicle Registration By Mail

To renew by mail, you need the following:


  • Renewal form
  • Proof of insurance
  • Form of payment (Check or money order)

Kansas Vehicle Registration Fees

Title Fee: $10.00
Transfer fee: $6.50
Modernization Fee: $4.00
House Bill 2696 – KS Highway Patrol Staffing and Training Surcharge: $2.00
House Bill 2696 – Law Enforcement Training and Surcharge: $1.25

Vehicles less than 4500 lbs.: $42.50
Vehicles over 4500 lbs.: $52.25
12 M Trucks: $52.25
Motorcycles: $28.25
Motorbikes: $28.25