Florida Free License Plate Lookup
In the state of Florida, vehicle owners are required to complete a vehicle registration at any tax collector’s office in Florida before driving them on the road. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Florida:
Florida License Plates & Placards
In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within 30 days of the owner establishing residency. The vehicle you own must have a Florida registration certificate and a current license plate.
Before you can get your license plate and registration certificate, you must show proof of ownership by presenting a Florida Certificate of Title for your vehicle. When a license plate is issued, a regular validation decal is issued, and the license plate is displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
If your Florida license plate or decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for replacements. If the license plate or decal was stolen and you have reported this to a law enforcement agency, there will be no charge for the replacement. Application for a replacement license plate or validation decal should be submitted to the local county tax collector’s office or license plate agency for processing.
Types of Florida License Plates
Aside from the Standard license plates, there are are several specialty license plates available from the FL DHSMV, including personalized plates and plates that support various organizations. Categories of special license plates include:
- Special Interest
- Pre-Sale (When a specialty license plate is authorized by Florida Statutes, the requesting organization must sell 1,000 vouchers within 24 months before the plate is manufactured.)
- Authenticated ((The owner provides this plate, not the State.)
- Commercial Vehicle
- Disabled Person
- Front End for Emergency Personnel
- Historical Vehicle
- Diplomatic / Legislative
- Military Services
- Native American
You may order sample license plates by filling up this form. All license plates are $28.00 each. Just mail your check or money order, payable to the Division of Motor Vehicles, to the address listed on the form.
Personalized license plates are available for both cars and motorcycles. Applications must be submitted to the license plate agency for approval or rejection of license plate. You may check personalized plate availability online at the state DMV website.
Transferring of License Plates in Florida
You may transfer Florida license plates from your previous vehicle if you’re registering it in the same name. A license plate cannot be given or transferred to someone else. Section 320.0609(1)(a), Florida Statutes, requires that the registration license plate and certificate of registration shall be issued to and remain in the name of the owner of the vehicle registered. However, a personalized license plate may be relinquished to someone else.
More Resources for Florida Drivers:
- Florida Driver Licenses & ID Cards
- Florida Vehicle Registration
- Renewing of License Plates in Florida
- Florida Vehicle Titling Information
- Florida Motor Vehicle Registration Fees
- Florida Driver’s Handbook
Buying a used car in Florida? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Florida-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Florida License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Florida-registered vehicle.