Maine Free License Plate Lookup
When purchasing a used car in Maine, getting a vehicle history report can you help you reveal vital information about the car such as rebuilt title or odometer rollbacks. You can also check if the vehicle is flood-damaged.
Maine License Plates & Placards
All motor vehicles bearing a Maine registration must have a current license plate before being operated on any public roadway.
Registration plates, displayed horizontally, must be attached to the front and back of the vehicle. Registration plates must always be plainly visible and legible. The registration decals must be placed on the right side of the rear license plate.
If your license plates are lost or mutilated, you need to submit a Notice of Loss of Number Plates and Request for New Plates at a BMV office. Replacement plates can be furnished by paying the fee of $5 for each plate plus the cost of validation stickers.
Types of Maine License Plates
Maine offers the following types of specialty plates each with its own criteria and fees.
- University of Maine
- Purple Heart
- Disabled Veteran
- Disabled Veteran MC
- Municipal Police
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Former Prisoner of War
- Black Bear
- Disability Special Veteran
- Maine Agriculture
- Support Our Troops
- Breast Cancer
- Congressional Medal of Honor
- Animal Welfare
- Emergency Medical Services
- Gold Star Family Recognition
Vanity plates are available at any BMV branch office for registered vehicle owners of Maine who wish to display a personalized license plate on their vehicle. You may check the availability of a vanity plate and order it online.
Transferring of License Plates in Maine
You can transfer your Maine license plates to your new vehicle if you apply for a registration of your new vehicle in the same year you revoke the old registration. The Transfer Plate Fee is $8.00.
Titling Requirements and Procedure in Maine
Maine residents who own a motor vehicle are required to register and title their vehicles before they can be driven on public roadways. Motor vehicles operated on Maine’s public roadways must be insured and inspected annually.
All motor vehicles, 1995 model year or newer are required to have a title in the State of Maine. A motor vehicle must have a title before it can be registered in Maine.
For new residents, Maine law requires that vehicle owners must apply for registration of vehicle within 30 days of establishing residency.
More Resources for Maine Drivers:
- Maine Driver Licenses & ID’s
- Maine Vehicle Registrations & Plates
- Maine Vehicle Title Examination and Information Unit
- Maine Vehicle Registration Fees
- Maine Vehicle Registration Forms
- Maine Driver’s Manual
Buying a used car in Maine? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Maine-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Maine License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Maine-registered vehicle.