Free Maryland License Plate Lookup
Search your Maryland license plate and get a free complete vehicle history report including: salvage status, theft or accident records, recalls and more!
When purchasing a used vehicle in Maryland, ask for a history report. You may be buying a flood damaged car or a vehicle with a salvage title. Make sure that the car is inspected first by an independent mechanic before making a purchase.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. You can search license plates registered in the state of Maryland and get a free vehicle report. Simply enter the license plate above to start a license plate search.
Maryland License Plates & Placards
Maryland law requires requires all motor vehicle owners to register their vehicle and obtain license plates before they can drive the vehicle on the road. All vehicles are required to display license plates issued by Maryland Motor and Vehicle Administration (MVA).
If your plates are stolen, notify the police and obtain a report. You will then need to fill out the Application for Substitute Plates/Stickers/Duplicate Registration (form # VR-009). There is a fee for substitute plates. The completed form can be brought to any full service MVA office.
Types of Maryland License Plates
- Agricultural or Chesapeake Bay license plates
- Amateur radio operator license plates
- Combat-related license plates
- Disabled license plates
- General license plates
- Gold Star license plate
- Military license plates
- Organizational license plates
- Organizational (non logo) license plates
- Personalized (vanity) license plates
To request a personalized (vanity) plate you may go online through MVA’s website or you can complete an Application for Special Registration Plates (form # VR-164). Depending upon the vehicle, you may request a message with at least 2 and up to 7 characters (numbers and/or letters).
Transferring of License Plates in Maryland
License plates may be transferred to a newly acquired vehicle if both vehicles have the same owner, have the same registration classification, and if the old vehicle have been sold, traded, junked or discarded.
Titling Requirements and Procedure in Maryland
In order to be registered, your vehicle must be titled in Maryland. In most cases, both registration and titling are handled at the same time.
If you are a new resident of the state you must apply for a Maryland title and registration for your vehicle within 60 days of moving to Maryland. Your registration card, license plates and expiration stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.
More Resources for Maryland Drivers:
- Maryland Driver’s License
- Maryland Vehicle Title and Registration Information
- Renewing Your Vehicle Registration in Maryland
- Maryland License Plates
- Maryland Vehicle Registration Fees
- Maryland Driver’s Manual
Buying a used car in Maryland? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Maryland-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Maryland License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Maryland-registered vehicle.