Montana Free License Plate Lookup
Spot vehicle issues before buying a used car. Reveal vehicle history at no cost by entering the license plate number on the Montana free license plate lookup.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of Montana
The Motor Vehicle Division of Montana DOJ can be requested for vehicle records. For inquiries, read the FAQs or contact either number at (406) 444-3933 for the Motor Vehicle Division or (406) 444-3661 for the Vehicle Services Bureau. Other means of contacting the agency can be found on the Contact MVD page.
Montana License Plates & Placards
Owners must register and title their vehicles within 60 days of becoming residents. In order to register their vehicles, non-resident employees must provide their current vehicle registration from other states. Vehicle registration can be processed at any county treasurer’s office. Montana has a standard serial format containing five numerical digits and two letters. This serial format can be found on plates of passenger vehicles. Montana requires two license plates for each vehicle: the front and the rear plates.
Submit a duplicate/replacement order for lost/damaged plates by filling out the application form.
Types of Montana License Plates
There are (16) license plate types that you can choose from in the state of Montana. Choose your desired plate type and read its description for requirements.
- Agriculture & Forestry
- Arts & Culture
- Government & Communities
- Museums & History
- Parks & Environment
- Service Organizations & Associations
- Sports & Recreation
- Wildlife & Other Animals
- Youth Groups
- Standard Plates
- Antique Plates
- Military Plates
- Sponsored Plates
Personalized plates can also be requested using this form. Each request costs $25.75, plus other associated fees. A single plate renewal/transfer request costs $10.30.
Transferring of License Plates in Montana
In most situations, a license plate can be transferred to another vehicle registered under the owner’s name.
More Resources for Montana Drivers:
- Montana Driver Licenses & ID Cards
- Montana Vehicle Title and Registration
- Montana Vehicle Registration Renewal Service
- Montana Driver License Renewal Service
- Montana Vehicle Search Service
- Montana Driver Manual
Buying a used car in Montana? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your Montana-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free Montana License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your Montana-registered vehicle.