Free South Carolina License Plate Lookup
Lookup and search your South Carolina license plate and get a free complete vehicle history report including: salvage status, theft or accident records, recalls and more!
Vehicles driven, operated or moved upon a highway in South Carolina state are required to be registered and licensed in the Department of Motor Vehicles. Every vehicle in South Carolina is assigned a license plate number. The South Carolina license plate lookup is a great tool which comes handy when you need to research the history of a certain vehicle.
- Vehicle Market Value
- Vehicle Specifications
- Equipment Details
- Fuel Efficiency
- Safety Rating
- Inspection Checklist
- Current Warranty
- NMVTIS Vehicle History Report
South Carolina License Plates & Placards
All vehicles in South Carolina must be registered and licensed in the Department of Motor Vehicles. Vehicle owners must register the vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles within 45 days from the date of the purchase of the vehicle.
If you have moved to South Carolina from another state, you need to transfer your vehicle’s title and registration to South Carolina.
After completing registration, the DMV will issue license plates which must be displayed at the back of your vehicle.
If your license plate is lost, stolen or damaged, you may get replacement plates, just fill up your vehicle information on the SDDMV website.
Types of South Carolina Special License Plates
SCDMV offers more than 400 license plates that can be purchased in person, online or by mail.
- College & University
Vanity plates are also available for vehicle owners wishing to display these tags on their vehicles. The plates may be ordered at any Division facility. Use the Vanity Plate Search to check the availability of a plate online.
Transferring of License Plates in South Carolina
You may transfer a license plate from one vehicle to a newly acquired vehicle on the date of its purchase. The owner must register the vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles within forty-five days from its purchase date.
More Resources for South Carolina Drivers:
- South Carolina Driver’s License
- South Carolina Vehicle Titles and Registration
- South Carolina License Plates Information
- South Carolina Vehicle Registration Renewal
- South Carolina Vehicle Registration Fees
- South Carolina Driver’s Manual
Buying a used car in South Carolina? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your South Carolina-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free South Carolina License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your South Carolina-registered vehicle.