South Dakota License Plate Lookup
Any person acquiring a vehicle in South Dakota must title and register their vehicles within 45 days after the date of purchase before it can be operated on the state’s public highways.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of South Dakota:
South Dakota License Plates & Placards
South Dakota law requires drivers to register their vehicles with the South Dakota Motor Vehicle Division. All motor vehicles, motorcycles, and trailers owned by South Dakota residents and operated on public highways must be registered with the County Treasurer of the owner’s residence.
If you are moving in from another state, you have 90 days from your date of arrival to title and register your vehicle in South Dakota. Upon completion of the registration process, you will receive standard license plates which must be displayed on your vehicle.
You can replace a damaged, lost or stolen license plate, just contact your local county treasurer’s office to complete an Affidavit For Duplicate License Plate/Validation Sticker. Lost or stolen license plates or validation stickers must be reported to a law enforcement agency.
Types of South Dakota License Plates
- 2016 License Plates
- 2017 License Plates
- Standard License Plates
- Trailer License Plates
- Disabled Person License Plates
- Boat License Plates
- Commercial License Plates
- Dealer License Plates
- Organization License Plates
- Historic Plates
- Military Plates
- Motorcycle / Off-Road Vehicle License Plates
- Personalized Plates
- Snowmobile License Plates
- Special Plates
- Rear Plate Only
- Amateur Radio
- Commercial Radio
- Indian Tribal
- Construction Vehicle
- Low Speed Vehicle Plates
- Prorate License Plates
Transferring of License Plates in South Dakota
In South Dakota, if you wish to transfer the license plates from your old vehicle to your newly acquired vehicle, you can do this at your local county treasurer’s office. In applying for transfer, bring your old plates with you to the county treasurer’s office.
More Resources for South Dakota Drivers:
- South Dakota Driver’s Licensing Information
- South Dakota Vehicle Registration
- Titling Motor Vehicles in South Dakota
- South Dakota License Plates Information
- South Dakota Motor Vehicle Titling & Registration Fees
- South Dakota Driving Manuals
Buying a used car in South Dakota? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your South Dakota-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free South Dakota License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your South Dakota-registered vehicle.