New Jersey License Plate Lookup
New Jersey residents must title and register their vehicles at a Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) agency before driving it on public roads. A motorist must be at least 17 years old to register a vehicle. Two license plates will be issued upon registering a vehicle.
VinCheck.info offers free license plate lookup that will reveal past ownership, title information, liens, odometer reading and salvage records. Search license plates registered in the state of New Jersey:
New Jersey License Plates & Placards
State law requires all motor vehicles in New Jersey to display license plates issued by the MVC. When you title and register a vehicle, you will receive two license plates. New Jersey is one of the states that require vehicles to display front and rear license plates. Motorcycles and trailers receive one license plate, for rear only.
If your plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for replacement plates at a motor vehicle agency. If your plates were stolen, you must file for a police report to the municipality where the plates were stolen. If you plates are damaged, you must surrender your old plates upon receiving the new plates. The plates must also be returned to MVC if the vehicle insurance is terminated.
Types of New Jersey License Plates
MVC offers different types of license plates. Aside from the standard plates, MVC issues the following:
- Personalized Plates
- Dedicated Plates (Special Interest)
- Specialty Plates (Organizational)
- Sports Plates
- Special Vehicle Plates (Historic/Hot Rod)
- Disability Plates
Transferring of License Plates in New Jersey
When you acquire a new vehicle, you can transfer your plates to the new vehicle as long as the same name is used for both registrations, and the registration code remains the same. If you sell a vehicle and do not wish to transfer its plates to another vehicle, you must surrender the old plates.
More Resources for New Jersey Drivers:
- New Jersey Driver’s License
- New Jersey Vehicle Registration
- New Jersey Vehicle Title
- New Jersey License Plates Information
- New Jersey Vehicle Registration and Title Fees
- New Jersey Driver Manual
Buying a used car in New Jersey? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup for your New Jersey-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, approximately 6.0 million automobile accidents are reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations, including taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a VIN to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Run a Free New Jersey License Plate Lookup to uncover the full-story of your New Jersey-registered vehicle.