Free Alabama License Plate Lookup
Search your Alabama license plate and get a free complete vehicle history report including: salvage status, theft or accident records, recalls and more!
Buying a used car instead of new in Alabama is a wise decision if you want to bag a bargain and save money in the process. Just make sure you do your homework well. Research the market value of the vehicle. This will help you decide how much you’re willing to pay for the car. If you have the license plate, you can get a full vehicle history at VinCheck.info. Simply enter the Alabama license plate number above to run a VIN history lookup for free and get a complete report.
- Market Value
- Vehicle Specifications
- Equipment Details
- Fuel Efficiency
- Safety Rating
- Inspection Checklist
- Current Warranty
- NMVTIS Report
Alabama License Plate Information
Alabama is one of the 19 states that require only the rear license plate. Any person acquiring a new or used motor vehicle in Alabama shall obtain a license plate within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of acquisition.
Alabama is using a numerical county-code system for its license plates since 1941. Codes 1, 2 and 3 are assigned to the three most populous counties of the time (Jefferson, Mobile and Montgomery), and codes 4 through 67 assigned to the remaining counties in alphabetical order. In 1948, Code 70 was added for replacement plates, followed in 1966 by code 80 for supplemental plates in counties that had run out of standard plates.
Types of Alabama License Plates
Alabama has nine (9) types of plates available to choose from. Each type of license plate has different requirements and fees.
- Standard Plates (all vehicles)
- Distinctive Plates (all vehicles)
- Collegiate Plates
- Military Plates
- Armed Forces Retired
- Disabled Veteran
- Generic Distinctive Plates
- Generic Race Plates (all vehicles)
- Dealer & Manufacturer Plates
- Temporary Tags
- Government Plates
- Vintage Plates (Passenger, Motorcycle, Truck)
Alabama License Plate Validity
Alabama license plates and decals must be renewed annually. A renewal noticed will be sent to the last known address as a courtesy at the beginning of the scheduled renewal month. The renewal month is determined by the first letter of the last name of the individual in which the vehicle is registered.
If your tags are mutilated, lost, or stolen, you can apply for a replacement. Submit an application for a replacement to the issuing office and pay applicable fees.
Transferring of License Plates in Alabama
In Alabama, it is possible to transfer a license plate from one vehicle to another. The state transfer fee is $1.25. Additionally, a number of Alabama counties have imposed local issuance fees.
More Resources for Alabama Drivers:
- Alabama Vehicle Registration
- Alabama License Plate Information
- Alabama Vehicle Titling Information
- Alabama Vehicle Registration Fee Schedule
- Alabama Driver Manual
Buying a used car in Alabama? Don’t make a costly mistake. Run a Free License Plate Lookup on your Alabama-registered vehicle!
- Check for accidents. Every year, millions of automobile accidents are reported.
- Check for title brands. Flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles. These are examples of critical title brands.
- Check for special purpose designations. This includes taxi-use, rental-use, or police-use.
- Check for thefts. Lookup a license plate to check for an active theft or previously recovered theft record.
Uncover the full-story of your Alabama-registered vehicle in seconds! Run an Alabama Free License Plate Lookup now!